Add an asset account
When you add a new account, Quicken adds it to the Account List (choose Tools menu > Account List). In most cases, you'll want to add all of your household's accounts in the same Quicken data file, so that you can track all your finances in one place.
- At the bottom of the Account Bar, click Add an Account.
- Click Other Asset.
- During the setup process you'll be asked a few questions.
- What is the name you'd like to use for this account?
Enter the name you want to use to refer to the account in Quicken. This name will appear in reports, and in the Quicken interface.
- What is this account primarily used for?
If you are using Quicken Home & Business or Quicken Rental Property Manager, choose the primary use of the account: Personal (which is the default), Business, or Rental Property. Your selection determines where in the Quicken interface (on which tab) the account appears. You can change this from the Account List later if you wish.
- Select a currency for the account (Optional)
If you have set up Quicken to track multiple currencies, select one from the list. If you decide you need to change the currency for the account, you can do so only if you haven't entered any transactions except the opening balance.
- Tell Quicken about the asset you'd like to track
1. Enter the date of your last statement, today's date, or the most recent date for which you know the balance or value of the account.
2. Enter the balance or value of the asset as of that date.
- If you're entering the opening balance from a statement, use the opening date. If you're entering the closing balance from a statement, use the closing date.
- If you don't know the starting balance, leave the Asset Value field empty. The new account will be added with an opening balance of $0.00, as of today. You can enter an adjustment transaction later in the account transaction list.
3. If this is a tax-deferred account, you can either accept the default tax attributes or click Tax to link tax schedule line items to the transfers into and out of this account. Click Help for more information.
- Is there a loan on this asset?
If you have a loan, click Yes and choose one of the following options:
- I'd like to track this loan in Quicken. Set up a new account for me. Quicken walks you through the steps to add a loan to track the payment schedule, principal, and interest, and a liability account to track your loan balance, which is used in your Net Worth report. For more information, see Set up a loan or mortgage.
- I'm already tracking the loan in Quicken. Select existing account. In the drop-down list, select the appropriate loan account.
- I do not want to track the loan in Quicken.