Adding Return of Capital in Quicken for Mac
The return of capital is a return from an investment that is not considered as income. The return of capital is when some or all of the money that you have invested is back to you. This is not considered as an investment gain because it is not in excess of the original investment. You are not taxed on this return until it begins to exceed your original investment value. The return of capital decreases the value of the investment.
Use the Return of Capital Transaction type to record this type of amount received.
To record return of capital
- Open the account you want to use.
- Click the New button from the toolbar.
- Select Return of Capital from the Transaction Types list.
- Add the information for:
- Date - Enter the date of the return of capital.
- Security - Select the security for which you want to add the return of capital. If the security is not appearing in the list of securities, select Edit Securities to add the payee.
- Amount Returned - Enter the amount returned to you as capital for your investment.
- Category - Select a category of the expense. Default is uncategorized.
- Memo - Enter the note you want to associate with the transaction.
- Tags - Enter the tags that you want to use while searching the transaction.
- To add an attachment to the transaction, select Attachments, click the Add attachment button, and select the file you want to attach to the transaction.
- Click Save when you are done.