Error: There are not enough open shares to cover your request
There are several options that may be followed in order to resolve this issue. After completing each set of steps, attempt to record the transaction.
Note: If you are attempting to transfer shares to another account in Quicken, the shares may have been added to the destination account even though they were not removed from the original account. In that case, you can delete any extra transactions from the register of the destination account so that your holdings will be accurately represented in Quicken.
- Correct any lot damage by recalculating the investment register.
Note: It is recommended that you recalculate the register each time you receive this message.
- Verify that Quicken has enough shares in the account to cover the transaction:
- From the Quicken Tools menu, choose Account List.
- Check Show hidden Accounts at the bottom.
- From the Investing menu, choose Portfolio.
- From the Group by drop-down list, select Accounts, and then from the Show drop-down menu, select Value.
- Set the As of field to the date of the transaction.
- If there is not a Shares column in the Portfolio View, Customize the Portfolio View to include it.
- Display the account holdings by clicking the folder icon to the left of the account name.
- Display the lot details by clicking the plus sign (+) to the left of the security name.
- If the number of shares are wrong, review all transactions for that security to find and correct the discrepancy:
- In the Portfolio View, click the security name to open the Security Detail View window.
- Click Report, and then click Preferences in the Security Report window.
- When the Quicken Preferences window opens, choose Reports only on the left, and clear the QuickZoom to investment forms checkbox. Then click OK.
- In the Security Report window, click Customize.
- Select Include All Dates from the Date Range drop-down list.
- Click the Accounts tab, and then click Clear All.
- Select the appropriate account, and then click Create Report.
- Check the report for incorrect transactions.
- In the Security Report window, place the cursor over the incorrect transaction, and then double-click the transaction when the cursor turns into the QuickZoom icon (a Z within a magnifying glass).
- Make any necessary changes, and then record the transaction.
- Return to the Portfolio View, and then repeat this process until all transactions are correct.
- For fractional shares, it may be easier to adjust the share balance:
- Open the register for the investment account where you are trying to enter the sell or transfer.
- From the Quicken Investing menu, choose Investing Activities, and then choose Update my share balance.
- Enter the date, security, and number of shares in the corresponding fields.
- Click OK.
Note: The adjustment transaction will create a new lot, which may not meet your original purpose in specifying lots. If you are closing the position or transferring all the shares from this account, the adjustment will work very well.