Error When Entering a Sell Transaction: Recording a Short Transaction
To resolve this issue, check the following:
Verify that you have selected the correct security to sell/remove. Look for securities with the same or similar name:
- From the Quicken Investing menu, choose Security List.
- Click the Options drop-down list, and then select View Hidden Securities.
Note: When visible, a hand icon will appear after a hidden security's name.
- Delete any duplicate or similar securities.
Verify that the account contains shares of the security:
- On the top menu bar, select Tools, then Account List.
- Select Show Hidden Accounts.
- From the Quicken Investing menu, choose Portfolio, and then from the Group By drop-down list, select Accounts.
- From the Show drop-down list, select Value.
- Set the As of field to the date of the transaction, and then press Enter.
- If a Shares column is not displayed, click Customize to include it in the Portfolio View.
- Display the account holdings by clicking the folder icon to the left of the account name.
- If the security is not displayed, click Customize to include it in the Portfolio View and Show Closed Lots.
- Display the lot details by clicking the plus sign (+) to the left of the security name.
If the number of shares are wrong, review all transactions for that security to correct the discrepancy:
- In the Portfolio View, click the security name to open the Security Detail View.
- In the Security Detail View, click Report.
- Click Preferences.
- When the Preferences window opens, select Reports only on the left, then on the right clear the QuickZoom to Investment Forms checkbox, and then click OK.
- In the Security Report, click Customize.
- From the Report Dates drop-down list, select Include All Dates.
- Click the Accounts tab, and then click Clear All.
- Select the appropriate account, and then click OK.
- Check the report for incorrect transactions.
- In the Security Report, double-click the incorrect transaction. This opens the investment account register and highlights the selected transaction.
- Make appropriate changes and record the transaction.
- Return to the Portfolio View and repeat this process until all transactions are correct.
If the issue continues, the lot information may have become damaged and you will need to recalculate the register.