Error When Using Online Services: CC-503
When using Online Services, you may receive the following message:
[Error CC-503] The login information entered in Quicken is incorrect. If you recently changed your password enter it into Quicken.
Quicken was unable to update your accounts because the login information is incorrect.
This error is typically caused by either of the following:
- Incorrect or invalid sign in credentials stored in Quicken and/or your Express Web Connect database.
- If your password doesn't meet the requirements posted on your financial institutions website. A good example of this is a requirement that the password contain between 8-12 characters, but you enter 13 characters. Your bank's website has the ability to simply stop "reading" the characters at 12 (ignoring the 13th) but Quicken must hard-stop at that 12th character.
Before proceeding any further with this article, please follow the steps below to ensure that the correct credentials are stored.
- Close out of Quicken.
- Verify your login information:
- Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad to open a new, blank TXT document (please do not use Microsoft Word or any other text/document application that provides formatting & spell-check capabilities);
- Type the User Name & Password/PIN you use to log into the financial institution website;
- Go to the financial institution website & Copy/Paste the User Name and Password lines from the Notepad into the appropriate login fields on the website to confirm they successfully log you in;
- Launch Quicken and go to Tools > Password Vault > Add/Edit Passwords;
- Click Change Password for the User name;
- Copy/Paste the password from Notepad into both of the password fields on this form & click Change, then click Done.
- If the customer ID needs to be changed in Quicken to match the website:
- Choose Tools > Account List.
- Click the Edit button next to the account you want to change the customer ID for.
- In the Account Details window, click the Online Services tab.
- Click Remove from One Step Update, and then click Yes to deactivate online services.
- Click Yes again, if necessary, to confirm your choice.
- Repeat these steps to deactivate all accounts held at the financial institution.
- Back on the Online Services tab, click Activate One Step Update.
- Enter the correct customer ID and follow the on-screen prompts to activate your account. Repeat for each account.
- Quicken 2012 Users: There is a current issue with Quicken 2012 that can cause bigger problems if you use the button on the One Step Update Summary to try to correct the Password. Until this issue is resolved in an upcoming patch, we strongly recommend that you use the Password Vault to store the login credentials for your Express Web Connect accounts. Also, Quicken 2012 users should not deactivate/reactivate EWC accounts in an effort to resolve this error message, as this action could lead to a different set of errors.
- It's possible that you'll receive error CC-501 during the subsequent update. If you do, exit and restart Quicken, then go to the register for the account and choose Account Actions > Update Now.
- If the error persists, please deactivate the account(s), close then reopen Quicken, then reactivate Express Web Connect (EWC).
- We recommend using the Password Vault to prevent the CC-503 Login error from occurring again. You can choose to use the Vault, when prompted during the re-activation of your account(s).
- Open the Account List in Quicken (Tools > Account List OR Ctrl + A);
- If present, select the Show Hidden Accounts checkbox at the bottom of the Account List;
- Edit each account with this financial institution to Deactivate on the Online Services tab;
- When finished, close the Account List;
- Go to File > File Operations > Validate & Repair > Validate file, to ensure there's no lingering problems with Online Settings, displayed as QEL Records in the Data_Log.txt presented at the end of the Validate process;
- Close, then re-Open Quicken;
- Click the Add Account button at the bottom of the Account Bar on your main view;
- Walk through this process as if you were going to add a new account, providing the login credentials and answering any security questions/processes presented, UNTIL you reach the screen where Quicken displays the Accounts Discovered at the financial institution;
- Very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have setup in Quicken.
When this process is complete, you will receive the most currently available data from your financial institution.