How To Compare and Accept a Downloaded Credit Card Payment Transaction Into the Deposit Account
If you have activated your checking account for transaction download, you may notice that the transaction amount for a downloaded credit card payment is slightly less than the amount of the payment.
To account for the credit card processing charge when you accept a downloaded transaction, follow these steps.
- Select the downloaded transaction.
- If this transaction matches one in your register, edit the Payment field in the register to equal the downloaded transaction's total amount.
- In the Category field, click Split.
- In the Split Transaction window, choose a category for the customer payment, such as Gross Sales, and enter the original full payment amount before the credit card processing service charge.
The total amount of the transaction is on the first line. Type over that amount to indicate the amount of the first categorized item, and then click Next.
Quicken calculates the remainder and displays it in the Amount field of the next line. It should be a negative amount.
- The remainder is the amount of the credit card processing service charge. Assign a category, such as Bank Charge.
- Click OK to close the Split Transaction dialog. Remember to click Enter (unless you've enabled the register option Automatically Enter Split Data).
If this payment is for more than one item, you can edit the split transaction to reflect that.