How do I customize the Portfolio
You can tailor the Portfolio to show different performance measures, fundamentals, and other details. You can:
- Use or customize the standardized views of the Portfolio, or create new views (up to nine).
- Customize Portfolio calculations to include all dates for which you have investments data, or a specific date range (for example, the current tax year).
- Change the tax rates used, so that the Portfolio's calculations are based on real or estimated tax information.
- View and compare performance data for individuallotss of securities that you own.
- Rank your securities in the Portfolio by price, market value, number of shares, or by name (alphabetical order).
- Print a copy of the Portfolio for your own records, or to take with you when you make an appointment with a financial planner.
1. Click the Investing tab.
2. If necessary, click the Portfolio button at the top of the page.
3. Click a link below for more information.
- To customize the current view or create a new view1. In the Show list, select the view of this portfolio that you want to edit.
- What if I want to create a completely new view?If you want to create an entirely new view, choose one of the custom views (Custom1, Custom2, and so on).
2. Click Options and then choose Customize current view.
3. Check the Name field to confirm that you're customizing the correct view. (If you're creating a new view, you can enter a new name here.)
4. Select the performance measures, fundamentals, and other details you want to display in the columns of the Portfolio window.
- Tell me more about customizing the column display• Click the Columns tab.
• To add a column to the Portfolio window, select the column from the list on the left and click Add.
• To remove a column from the Portfolio window, select the column from the list on the right and click Remove.
• To change a column's position (left or right) in the Portfolio window, select the column in the Displayed Columns list and click Move Up (left) or Move Down (right).
5. Select the accounts and securities to include.
- Tell me more about selecting accounts and securities• Click the Accounts or Securities tab.
• To change the order in which accounts are displayed, select an account and click Move Up or Move Down.
• Click to add a check mark next to the accounts and securities to include in this view (Mark All includes the entire list).
• To include hidden accounts or securities, click Show (hidden accounts) or Show (hidden securities).
6. Multicurrency support appears only if you've enabled support for multiple currencies. (Optional)
- Tell me more about multicurrency support in the Portfolio• To only display accounts and securities that match the current currency, make sure you've selected Show only accounts and securities that match the Portfolio currency.
• To track the cash balance of each account in the current currency, click Show cash balances of each account in Portfolio currency.
7. Click OK.
- What if I need to restore the default column set?If you want to restore the original Quicken settings, you can click Reset View at any time. You can do this even after you've clicked OK to save your new settings.
- What if I want to create a completely new view?
- To set the options for date and tax rate1. Click Options and then choose Portfolio Preferences.
2. In the Portfolio View Options dialog, choose one of the following to set the date:
Select To calculate returns since Entire history The date of the first investment transaction you entered in Quicken and ending today. From From the date you select. The Portfolio will use this as the beginning date in calculations.
The date range affects Amount Invested, Return, Income, and ROI only.
3. To set the tax rates, select the marginal tax rates you want to use for short-term or long-term capital gains. We recommend that you use rates from the Tax Planner.
If one of your securities isn't showing in the Portfolio:
• In the Portfolio View Options dialog, set the Show Return Calculations from field for the beginning of the period you want.
• Then, back on the Portfolio page, change the As of date to the end of the period you want.
- To change the As of date in the Portfolio1. Type a new date in the As of field, or use the pop-up calendar to set a new date.
2. Press the ENTER key.
Industry YTD and Return (%) YTD are based on downloaded data and will not be affected by changes in the As of date option.
- To view performance calculations for a period you specify1. Click Options, and choose Portfolio Preferences.
2. In the Portfolio View Options dialog, set the date for the beginning of the period you want.
3. Then, back on the Portfolio page, change the As of date to the end of the period you want.
Follow these steps to see the ROI or other indicators for a specific period.
- To sort the securities in the Portfolio1. Click a column heading to sort the securities in each account by the value or data in that column. For example, click the Name heading to arrange the securities in alphabetical order within their groupings.
2. Click Customize current view to select the details and performance measures you want for column headings. For additional information, click the topic on how to Customize the current view (above).
- To resize Portfolio columns1. Move your pointer to the top of a column heading, where you see the labels Name, Price, and so on.
2. Place the pointer on the line that marks the border between two labels (at the point where the display of the pointer changes to a double-headed arrow).
3. Click the mouse button and hold it down, and then move the pointer to widen or narrow the column width.
- To view individual lots of securities1. In the Group By list, select Accounts.
2. Click the arrow icon next to an account name to see all securities in the account.
3. Click the plus sign (+) in front of an individual security's name to see individual lots.
Some standard portfolio views use a Group By setting to display your securities by security type. To view yourlotss, be sure to change the Group By setting back to Accounts. If you wish, you can then customize the new setting.
- To display closed lots of securities1. Click Options.
2. In the Options menu, choose Show closed lots.
- To print the PortfolioTo print your customized portfolio table, choose File menu > Print Portfolio to display the Print dialog where you can set various print related options.
If one of your securities isn't showing in the Portfolio:
- The missing security may be part of an account that you did not choose to include in your Portfolio. Check your settings in the Customize Portfolio dialog.
- You may have chosen to hide that particular security. Check the Show (hidden securities) setting in the Customize Portfolio dialog.
- You may be trying to display a security for which you have only closed lots. If you want to include lots you've already closed, click Options and then choose Show closed lots.