How do I track income from reimbursed miles

If your company reimburses you for miles traveled at a rate higher than that of the IRS, you could essentially be earning income—which could be taxable—by traveling. You can track this extra income.

  1. Open the Mileage Tracker.

    • From the Business tab
      Click the Business tab, then click the Business Tools button and choose Mileage Tracker.
  2. Enter your trip as usual.
  3. Under Trip Type, select Other.
  4. Edit the rate so it equals the difference between the rate at which your company reimbursed you and the rate used by the IRS. Enter the difference using a minus sign (for example, -.045).

    • Can you give me an example?
      For example, say you went on a business trip of 100 miles. Your company reimbursed you at .60/mile, while the current IRS rate was .555/mile.

      When you record your trip, enter -.045 in the Rate field. This captures the .045/mile difference between your company's reimbursement rate and the IRS rate, for a total difference of $4.50. That difference may be taxable.

This feature requires Quicken Home & Business or Rental Property Manager. Learn how you can upgrade Quicken in minutes.

Search Support:

Search form

Tip: To find out which version of Quicken you are using, open Quicken go to Help menu and select About Quicken.