How To Record the Purchase of Exchange-traded Options
Treat an option like a security.
- In the Account Bar list, select the account you want to use.
- Click Enter Transactions.
- In the Enter transaction list, choose Buy - Shares Bought.
- For the security name, enter a descriptive phrase, such as: CALL IBM May 100 (to represent the call, ticker symbol, exercise month, strike price).
- For the number of shares, enter the actual number of shares that you are entitled to buy on the call.
- Enter the purchase price of the call.
- Enter any fees.
- Options that are bought and sold in the options market are different from employee stock option grants. To track employee stock options, set up an employee stock option grant in Quicken. It allows you to track the vesting schedule, market value, and unrealized gain of employee stock options.
- It is possible to simply download the purchase or sale of exchange-traded options. Manual entry is not a requirement.
- Recording a transaction in Quicken does not execute a real-world trade, transfer, or other transaction. Contact your broker to execute trades or transfers, and then manually record the transactions in Quicken-better yet, download them directly from your participating financial institution.