How To Use Category Groups in a Budget
Click on Planning on the top menu bar, then select Budget .
- To display category groupsClick the Show category groups check box.
- To expand or collapse category group levelsClick the folder for the category group.
- To assign a category to a category group or move a category to another category groupClick Category groups to display the Assign Category Groups dialog and follow the instructions on the dialog.
- To set up a budget amount for a category group
You may want to budget for the entire category group instead of entering a separate amount for each category it contains. If you do this, any difference between the amount you enter for the category group and the total of the individual amounts for the categories in that group will be assigned to Other in that category group.
- Click the category group to hide all the categories beneath it.
- Enter a budget amount as usual.
- To edit the category group list
Click Category groups to display the Assign Category Groups dialog.
- Click New to add a category group.
- Click Edit to edit the currently selected category group.
- Click Delete to delete the currently selected category group.
If any of your category groups contain transfers, your budget will display using the Combined View.
This happens because Quicken doesn't know if you consider a transfer in a category group an income or expense, and so can't assign it to its proper tab. If you want to use a different view, either turn off category groups in your budget or click Category groups to display the Assign Category Groups dialog and assign all your unassigned categories and transfers to appropriate groups.