Reinvesting Dividend in Quicken for Mac
Use the Reinvest Dividend transaction type to record the dividend amount reinvested in the same security. Quicken tracks the purchase price and lots for the securities bought that can be later used for cost basis information at the same time of selling the securities and calculating capital gain. As this purchase is made out of the dividend received, there is no impact on your cash balance.
Note that your broker may mention dividend payment and shares bought as two transactions in your account statement. You need to remember it while reconciling your account.
To add reinvested dividend
- Open the account you want to use.
- Click the New button from the toolbar.
- Select Reinvest Dividend from the Transaction Types list.
- Add the information for:
- Date - Enter the date of purchase. This is important if you want to track complete investment performance and tax information.
- Security - Select the security that you're purchasing shares of.
- Dividend - Enter the dividend received for the shares of the security bought.
- Number of Shares - Enter the number of shares bought by reinvesting the dividend.
- Commission - Enter the amount paid towards commission per share.
- Total Cost - Displays the total cost of the shares purchased including commission amount and will be automatically calculated.
- Memo - Enter the note you want to associate with the transaction. (optional)
- Tags - Enter the tags that you want to use while searching the transaction. (optional)
- Click Save when you are done.