Reinvesting Short-term Capital Gain in Quicken for Mac
Use the Reinvest Short-term Capital Gain transaction type to record the short-term capital gain (gain on an investment owned for shorter than 12 months) reinvested in the same holding. As this purchase is made out of the capital gain, there is no impact on your cash balance.
Note that your broker may mention the payment as long-term capital gain and its investment in shares as two transactions in your account statement. You need to remember it while reconciling your account.
To add reinvested interest
- Open the account you want to use.
- Click the New button from the toolbar.
- Select Reinvest > Short-term, Capital Gain from the Transaction Types list.
- Add the information for:
- Date - Enter the date of purchase. This is important if you want to track complete investment performance and tax information.
- Security - Select the security that you're purchasing shares of.
- Distribution Amount - Enter the amount received for the shares of this security.
- Number of Shares - Enter the number of shares bought by reinvesting the gain.
- Commission - Enter the amount paid towards commission per share.
- Total Cost - Displays the total cost of the shares purchased including commission amount.
- Memo - Enter the note you want to associate with the transaction.
- Tags - Enter the tags that you want to use while searching the transaction.
- To add an attachment to the transaction, select Attachments, click the Add attachment button, and select the file you want to attach to the transaction.
- Click Save when you are done.