Securities Are Not Updating and Cost Basis Reporting is Incorrect
You may find one of your holdings is suddenly not updating when I getting quotes from within Quicken and the cost basis reporting is incorrect after a corporate name change.
The corporate name change may not have been completed correctly. You can continue tracking the security in question without a loss of history and continue getting price updates through the Quicken quote feature by completing the following steps.
To record a corporate name change:
- Click on Tools on the top menu bar, then choose Account List.
- Select the account you want to modify, then click on Go To Register.
- Click the Enter Transactions button.
- From the Enter transaction drop-down list, choose Corporate Name Change. Use this form to change the name of the security after a corporate name change. (This form is called Mutual Fund Name Change if you are using it from a Single Mutual Fund account.)
- Complete the appropriate fields and follow the onscreen instructions.
Note: If you download investment transactions from your broker, and if one of your holdings has a corporate name change:
- Your broker may handle this as two transactions: a ShrsOut of the old name and ShrsIn of the new name.
- Either do not accept these transactions when you download, or delete them (in sequential order) when you reconcile the account. This is to ensure that your lot information remains accurate, and that the lot opening date is recorded as the date you actually purchased the shares (not the date of the name change).
- The old corporate name is captured in the Security name field, but this does not display in your Transaction list because now the new name will be shown instead. To see the old corporate name in your Transaction list, make a note of it in the Memo field.
To change the ticker symbol for a security:
- From the Quicken Investing menu, choose Security List.
- Select the security to which you want to make the ticker change, and then click the Edit button at the top of the window.
- In the Symbol field, delete the old ticker symbol, enter the new one, and then click OK.
- In the Symbol Change Affects Price History window, select the checkbox for Copy quotes from [old ticker] to [new ticker], and then click OK.