Setting Up Online Payees
To send an online payment, you need to first provide information to Quicken about the company or individual to whom the payment is being sent. Quicken then stores this information in the Online Payee List for use in the future. You can set up all your online payees in advance, or add them on an as-needed basis.
From time to time, compare your payee information with a recent statement from your payee to make sure that you still have the correct address and account number.
To set up an online payee:
- From the Quicken Online menu, choose Online Payee List, and then click New.
- Enter the name for the payee in the Name field. This should be the name you use when writing a check to this payee.
- For each payee, the combination of name and description, as well as the name and account number, must be unique.
- The total number of characters for both the Name and Description fields together must not exceed 32 characters.
Once you've gone online and sent this information, you can't change it (if you need to update the name or account number later on, create a new payee). You can, however, change the contents of the Description field.
For example, you may have two accounts with your telephone company, one for your home telephone and another for your cellular phone. You could create two payees, one for each account, with descriptions such as home and cell.
- Use the optional Description field to store additional information about the payee. For example, if you have two accounts with your telephone company, one for your home phone and one for your cellular phone, you could enter home or cell to distinguish between the two different accounts with the same payee name.
Note: For each payee, the combination of name and description must be unique and can contain a maximum of 32 characters.
- Complete the Street, City, State, and Zip fields using the address where you send your payments.
- In the Account # field, enter the number that the payee uses to identify you. This could be an account number, a loan number, or an insurance policy number. If you do not know the number to use, enter your name. The online payee uses the number (or your name) to credit your account with the payments received, so make sure you enter this information accurately. Once you've gone online and sent this information, you can't change it (if you need to update the name or account number later on, create a new payee).
Note: The combination of name and account number must be unique for each payee.
- Enter the phone number that you usually call if you have a billing question for this payee in the Phone number field. Be sure to include the area code. The processor may need the phone number to contact the online payee on your behalf if there are any problems, so enter the phone number you usually call if you have a billing question. Be sure to include the area code.
- Click OK.
- Review the information for accuracy, and then click Accept.