View the In/Out/What's Left snapshot (personal)
The Home tab can be customized to display the In/Out/What's Left snapshot. The snapshot provides an at-a-glance overview of your monthly cash flow, and helps you track your short-term personal spending.
By providing a quick overview of the Quicken spending accounts where you manage your regular deposits and expenses (your checking and cash accounts by default), Quicken can help you determine if you have enough money to cover your monthly bills.
- In includes incoming funds for the month such as paychecks, deposits, and so on.
- Out includes expenses such as bills and other liabilities.
- What's Left reconciles the inflows and outflows, so you can immediately see if you brought in more money for the month or if you spent more than you made.
The In/Out/What's Left snapshot shows a combination of actual and projected values for the current month by default. You can also see actual values for past months and projected values for future months by clicking the arrows on either side of the date above the snapshot. Future (projected) values and estimates in the In/Out/What's Left snapshot are made up primarily of bill and income reminders. Bill and income reminders are scheduled expenses and income that you have told Quicken about.
1. Click the Home tab.
2. Click Customize at the top of the Home tab window, then scroll to the Planning items and add the In/Out/What's Left snapshot.
- What is meant by terms like current balance, cash flow difference, total available, and so on?
Click the question mark icon next to any term to see an explanation of the term.
- How do I get more detail about the transactions this snapshot is based on?
Click any blue text within the In or Out area of the snapshot to display a minireport for that type of transaction. You can also click Cash Flow Details (or from the Home tab snapshot, choose Options > Details) to display a summary report of all transactions on which the snapshot for a particular month is based.
- How do I add transactions?
1. Enter transactions directly in the register of the account; otherwise, choose Add Reminder to set up a reminder in Quicken.
2. Enter information about the transaction. If you need assistance, click the Help icon.
3. Click OK.
- How can I change an incorrectly categorized transaction?
Assign a different category to the transaction.
The In/Out/What's Left snapshot considers any transfer to a liability account to be a loan payment. This part of the feature can't be customized.