How do I Memorize and Use a Split Transaction with Percentages
You can memorize a transaction to use exact amounts or percentages. For example, if you wanted to split a utility bill between you and a roommate, you could have Quicken calculate the amounts for you each time you enter the utility bill.
You can also do this in the Write Checks window.
- Open the account you want to use.
- In the register, enter the date and payee as usual.
- Enter the total amount of the transaction in the Payment or Deposit field.
- On the transaction toolbar, click the Split icon.
- In the Split dialog, type or select a category for the first line item.
- In the Amount column, enter the appropriate percentage.
- Tell me more
The first line shows the total amount of the transaction. Select it and type a number followed by the percent (%) sign. Then click Next. For example, type 60 percent on the first line and 40 percent on the second line. When you enter a percentage and then move to the next field, Quicken calculates the dollar amount.
- Tell me more
- Fill out as many split lines as you need.
- Enter a memo for each item. (Optional)
- Click OK to close the Split Transaction window.
- Click the Edit button, and choose Memorize payee.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to memorize the payee with percentages.
- Click OK again to memorize the transaction.
- Click Save to record the transaction in the register.
- To use a split transaction with percentages
1. Scroll to the bottom of the register or Write Checks window, and select the new transaction line.
2. In the Payee field, enter the payee associated with the split transaction you want to use, and press the TAB key.
3. Enter the total dollar amount when Quicken asks for it.
4. Click OK.
5. Click Save.
Quicken enters the transaction for the amount you specify, with the dollar amount split according to the percentages stored for the memorized payee.