How do I sell a bond before it matures?
When you sell a bond before maturity, there is no accompanying return of capital transaction. Quicken just needs to know that you sold the shares (in other words, every bond sold before maturity can have a capital gain).
After you complete the steps below, the sale will appear in your transaction list as a Sell or SellX transaction.
- Open the account you want to use.
- Click Enter Transactions.
- In the Enter Transaction list, select Sell - Shares Sold.
- In the Security name field, select the bond.
- In the Shares Sold dialog, fill out the requested information.
- Choose Sell all shares.
- Click Enter/Done.
Recording a transaction in Quicken does not execute a real-world trade, transfer, or other transaction. Contact your broker to execute trades or transfers, and then manually record the transactions in Quicken—better yet, download them directly from your participating financial institution.