How do I transfer cash into or out of an account?
From time to time you may need to transfer cash into your investment account to fund your purchases. Or you may transfer the proceeds from a sale out of your investment account and into another account you track in Quicken. Use the Cash Transferred Into Account and Cash Transferred Out of Account dialogs to record these types of transactions.
- Cash - In an investment portfolio, "cash" means relatively stable investments that can be easily changed into currency, such as a checking account, Treasury bills, a money market account, or even a short-term bond fund.
1. Open the account you want to use.
2. Click Enter Transactions.
3. In the Enter Transaction list, choose Cash Transferred into Account or Cash Transferred out of Account.
4. Use these dialogs to record transfers of money into or out of this investment account. Click a link below for more information.
- Transfer account
If this money is not actually being transferred from another Quicken account, simply select the same account the money is being transferred into. This will create a transfer from within the same account, but it will correctly add to, or subtract from, your account's cash balance.
- Tax Year (for IRA accounts)
Use this field to assign IRA contributions to their correct tax year.
5. Click Enter/New to enter another transaction, or Enter/Done to finish.
Recording a transaction in Quicken does not execute a real-world trade, transfer, or other transaction. Contact your broker to execute trades or transfers, and then manually record the transactions in Quicken—better yet, download them directly from your participating financial institution.