How To Specify Lots When Selling a Security
- At the top of the Specify Lots dialog, select the lot that you wish to sell shares from.
- In the Shares to sell column, enter the number of shares you'd like to sell.
- List of available lots
- Date indicates the date the lot was purchased.
- Holding Period indicates whether the lot is considered a long- or short-term holding.
- Price indicates the price at which the shares in the lot were purchased.
- Available indicates the number of shares in the lot.
- Shares to sell is a number you enter; it corresponds to the number of shares you'd like to sell from this lot.
- First Shares In, Last Shares In, Minimum Gain, Maximum Gain buttonsAs an alternative to specifying shares from the list, you can select either the oldest or newest shares to sell, or sell the shares that would result in the greatest or least gain by clicking the appropriate buttons. (Don't select any lots from the list if you use one of these buttons.) Quicken chooses the total number of shares according to the amount you specified in the dialog from which you accessed the Specify Lots window.
- First Shares In sells the oldest shares purchased, independent of lot.
- Last Shares In sells the newest shares purchased, independent of lot.
- Minimum Gain sells the shares that will result in the least capital gain, independent of lot.
- Maximum Gain sells the shares that will result in the greatest capital gain, independent of lot.
- Total, Shares to Sell, Remaining
- Total shows you how many shares you've selected from the available lots list.
- Shares to Sell shows the total number of shares you indicated you wanted to sell prior to accessing this dialog. It's there for your reference as you select shares from the available lots list.
- Remaining shows the number of shares you have yet to select. Make sure this number is zero before you click OK.
If you change your mind about the number of shares to sell, click Cancel to go back to the dialog from which you accessed the Specify Lots window, change the value, and then click Specify Lots again.
- Reset buttonClick this to reset the available lots list to no shares selected.
- Enter Missing TransactionsIf any of the transactions shown in the available lots list is a placeholder entry, you can choose Enter Missing Transactions to complete the historical information for this security and resolve the placeholder entry.
- List of available lots
Recording a transaction in Quicken does not execute a real-world trade, transfer, or other transaction. Contact your broker to execute trades or transfers, and then manually record the transactions in Quicken-better yet, download them directly from your participating financial institution.