Downloaded Transactions Are Automatically Assigned a Category
To get the most out of Quicken, Quicken attempts to assign a category to each transaction. At times, when you download transactions into Quicken, they should up as uncategorized transactions. This happens when Quicken does not recognize the vendor. If you memorize or download transactions, Quicken can help to automate the process of categorizing transactions.
Downloaded or imported transactions are automatically assigned a category based on the following, in this order:
- A transaction exists in the Memorized Payee List with a matching payee name with the category.
- The financial institution has associated a standard industrial classification (SIC) code with this transaction.
- You also have the option to edit the category from the memorized payee list (Click on Tools on the top menu bar, then select Memorized Payee List) and choose the correct category. This will then memorize the payee name to the correct category on future downloads.
- Automatic categorization is enabled. To turn off automatic categorization:
- Choose Edit menu > Preferences (Quicken Program on earlier versions).
- Click Register.
- Under Data entry, clear the Use automatic categorization check box.
In some circumstances, the automatic categorization cannot be turned off. Go here for more information.