Error 187 While Adding an Account in Quicken for Mac
You might receive one of the following messages when attempting to add an account in Quicken for Mac:
Error 187 Connect
Error 187 Refresh
These errors are caused by entering in an incorrect security answer to your financial institution's web site while attempting to add an account in Quicken.
To resolve this error:
- Log into your accounts at the financial institution and confirm the security Q&A you have stored in your preferences at their website.
- Use the Retry option in Quicken, entering the responses you have stored at the financial institutions website. NOTE: You may have to Retry several times to get prompted for all of the questions, for those institutions that have multiple Q&A.
- If Retry is not presenting the questionss for you to answer OR if the questions presented to not match those you have saved at the financial institution website, see Advanced Resolution (below).
- Open Quicken.
- Go to the Accounts menu and choose "Hide and Show Accounts".
- Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution (FI) that are hidden in List.
- Click the Settings icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Under At Your Financial Institution section click on Troubleshooting.
- Click on Deactivate Download and click Save.
- When finished with all accounts in your file that connect to this FI, Quit Quicken.
- Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app.
- Looking in Keychain = Login and Category = Password, find and Trash any entries that show Quicken Essentials, Quicken 2015 or Quicken Connect and this FI name.
- Quit the Keychain Access app and open Quicken.
- Select your primary account with this FI to re-link. Click on "Set up transaction download" in Settings.
- At the bottom of the window that lists the financial institutions, click the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon.
- When the list finishes Updating, it should display the current date; click the Show List button to continue.
- Type the name of this financial institution and make the appropriate selection, then enter your login credentials and click Continue.
- When Quicken has returned all accounts discovered for this FI, very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have setup in Quicken.