How To Customize Reports for Categories, Category Groups, or Tags
You can customize reports in Quicken to show you specific financial information.
What are categories and subcategories?
In Quicken, categories and subcategories are used to classify and group your transactions. This grouping is displayed in reports and graphs that help you easily analyze your transactions.
Quicken provides a comprehensive list of default categorizes. However, you are free to customize the category list to fit your specific needs. You can add new categories and sub-categories, rename existing categories, merge similar categories and delete categories you don't need.
That said, we recommend customers new to Quicken to start by using the default category list and customize this list as you become more familiar with the capabilities of Quicken.
What are tags?
Tags provide an additional way to classify and group your transactions. They help you to group and analyze all transactions related to a specific event.
Let's understand this with an example. You went for a vacation with your family and you need to keep track of all the expenses related to this vacation. Just create the tag vacation and associate all your related transactions, from multiple categories, with this tag. Here are some transactions that you might associate with this tag:
- Dinner: Categorized as Food & Dining
- Fuel: Categorized as Auto & Transport
- Clothing: Categorized as Shopping
Later, to see the total cost of your vacation, run a custom report by including all transactions with the vacation tag.
To customize a report for a category, category group, or a tag:
- In Quicken, click the Reports menu, open the report you want to customize.
- Then, click the Customize gear icon on the upper right.
- Click the Accounts tab, and then select the accounts you want to include in the report.
- Click the Categories tab, and then select the categories you want to include in the report.
- (Optional) Select accounts at the bottom of the Category list if you want to include transfers between specific accounts, or click the Advanced tab (if available) and then select the appropriate item from the Transfers drop-down list.
- Click the Tags tab (this has to be turned on in your preferences and in use in order to view it), and then select the tags you want to include in the report.
- Click the Category Groups tab (if available), and then select the category groups you want to include in the report.
- Click OK to create the customized report.
You can repeat this process with any of your reports in Quicken.
For video instructions on running reports, click here.