Learn About Reports in Quicken for Mac
Quicken includes a number of reports to help you understand your spending and savings. You can also create custom reports that help you focus on specific areas.
Quicken always keeps your reports up to date. Whether you download or manually enter transactions, all affected reports are updated automatically.
To create a new report in the Subscription Release of Quicken for Mac:
- Click the Reports tab and select Create New Report.
- If you're creating a new report, select the report type: Transaction, Summary, or Comparison.
- Name the report, then select options for the Row, Column, and Time Interval.
- You can then click Continue to Customize to adjust other report settings, or click Create New Report.
- You can also update various settings in your report by clicking the Customize button (Optional):
The Customize button is located just under the report name.
Here's a list of the standard Quicken reports:
Compare your Asset and Liability totals, see your total Net Worth, and view account balances for Checking, Savings, Cash, Credit, Investing, and Property & Debt.
The Category Summary provides a breakdown of all your spending by category.
- Use the Show me filter to specify the level of detail you want to see.
The Comparison Report compares spending or income between two different time periods.
- Compare by Categories, Payees, or Tags.
Last Month, This Month
This Month shows all your transactions for the current month, for each account, in a single place. For each account, the report lists any income, any scheduled expenses, and any other expenses. The Other Expenses section of each account helps you understand where your discretionary dollars are going.
Last Month works just like This Month, but for transactions from the previous month.
Create a report to view transaction details by category, payee, tag, account, or date.
Net Worth Over Time
- See the sum of your account balances month-over-month to track your Net Worth
- Include all accounts (the default) for Total Net Worth or filter down to see the trends on specific types of accounts (investments, savings) or even individual accounts.
The Payee Summary report displays details of all the transactions that a payee is associated with. You can also quickly search to narrow down to just a single payee.
The Spending Cloud is a visual representation of how much you're spending in different categories and for different tags.
- Each category or tag is shown in word form.
- Bigger categories or tags mean you've spent more money in that area, relative to the whole. Smaller ones mean you've spent less.
- You can hover the mouse over a category or tag to see a total, or click a category or tag to see all the transactions that are assigned to that category or tag.
Spending Over Time
The Spending Over Time report lets you see how your spending is changing over time.
- Create a summary report based on Categories, Payees, or Tags.
- Select different columns based on Tags, Time, Payees, or Accounts.
- If the columns are based on time, you can define the time interval for each summary value including by week, month, quarter, year and more. If you don't want to use a time interval, select None.
The Tax Schedule report displays any tax schedule line items that you assign to your categories by Form or by Category. For more information on Tax Schedule reports, click here.