Adding Accounts in Quicken for Mac
By default, Quicken will help you set up your accounts for automatic download when available.
To set up an account in Quicken for Mac
The steps for setting up an account are basically the same for all account types.
- Click on Accounts > New from the menu bar, and then select the type of account you want to create (such as Checking, Savings, Credit Card, and so on).
- Enter the name of your financial institution in the Search field, select it from the list, and click Continue. If you would like to set up a manual account, click Options instead of typing in the financial institution, select the radio button next to Enter transactions manually and click Continue.
- Tell me moreSome financial institutions offer multiple options to choose from. Use the name and the information on the right panel of the search results to find the correct institution.
Sometimes there will be an option that includes the word "Quicken" in the name. (For example: "Bank of America - Quicken"). This is often the best choice.
- Tell me more
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your account.
- If prompted for a username and password, enter the username and password you use to sign in to your financial institution's website.
- Tell me moreQuicken supports downloads with over 13,000 financial institutions. If you can't find your bank in the list, try these two steps:
- Click "My bank is not in the list" in the Add Account window, and then click the refresh button on the My Bank is not in the List message. Quicken updates your list of supported financial institutions. Next, click Check list again, and try once more to find your bank in the list supported institutions.
- If your bank still does not appear in the list, you can still create an account in Quicken, but you won't be able to download transactions into it. Instead, you will need to enter your transactions by hand. To set up a manual account, click "My bank is not in the list" in the Add Account window, and then click Add Manual Account.
- Tell me more
- After you enter your financial institution's username and password, Quicken will connect with your bank and return a list of all the accounts at that institution that are available for download.
- Review the list, verify the account type and set an account nickname (optional), and make sure the menu next to the account name says Add.
- You can further customize your account setup on this screen:
Set an account Nickname
Confirm the Type
Ignore an account
Link to a manual account (if you have previously added an account, you can choose to Link or Ignore the account here)
- After you've successfully added your account and connected to your financial institution, you'll see the account name added to the sidebar along with the Current Balance.
- Click the name to view the transactions downloaded from your financial institution.
Note: When setting up an account, click on the “i” icon in the Financial Institution list window. It will show the connection method for the Financial Institution. There are 3 types of connections in Quicken for Mac:
- Quicken Connect
- Direct Connect
- Web Connect
You can find more information on the different connection types by clicking here.