Creating a Year-end Copy At the End of the Calendar Year
The Quicken Year-End Copy command streamlines the process of preparing Quicken for the next year's use. You can archive your transactions that are dated earlier than this year and either keep them in your current file or remove them and store them in an archive file.
- Choose File menu > File Operations > Year-End Copy.
- In the Current Data File area, select an option:
- Do Nothing. My current data file will remain unchanged: Select this option if you simply want to create an archive of your data without removing any transactions from your data file.
- I only want transaction in my current data file starting with this date: This option creates an archive of your data and removes all transactions prior to the date you enter. By default, this date is January 1 of the current calendar year. You should select this option if you want to reduce the size of your current file. All transactions prior to the date selected will be in the archive file. Transactions after the date selected will be in your original data file.
- In the Archive Data File area, enter the name and location of the archive file. By default, the name and location of the archive file are the same location as the current file, and the name is the same with BKP added to the end of the file name.
- Click OK.
- In the File Archived Successfully window, select Current File.
- To access your archived file, choose File menu > Open, and select the archived file.
The Year-End Copy may result in transactions outside the date range you specify remaining in your file. Any unreconciled transactions will remain in your file so you can accurately reconcile your accounts. In addition, investment transactions will be retained, regardless of date range, so Quicken can accurately calculate performance and return numbers for your investments. Quicken recommends retaining unreconciled and investment transactions in your data file.