How Do I Write a Check?
- The Write Checks window doesn't display check numbers. Quicken checks are prenumbered because most banks require prenumbered checks for stop-payment purposes. Quicken inserts the correct check number in the register when it prints the check.
- Until the checks print, Quicken displays PRINT in the Num (Number) column of each printable transaction in the register. When you print the check, Quicken changes Print to the correct check number. Quicken displays the total amount of checks you've written, but haven't printed, at the bottom of the register window.
- When you order your Quicken checks, indicate a starting number considerably higher than your existing paper check numbers. For example, if your personal check numbers are in the 1000 range, begin your Quicken checks at 3001. That way, you avoid confusion or possible duplication of numbers.
- Quicken can easily manage two sets of check numbers in one account. The bank doesn't care about which numbers you use on your checks. Check numbers are for your own records.
- To write a postdated check, change the date to the date on which you would like the check to be payable.
- For checks you write away from home, use the paper checks you already have, or fill in a Quicken check by hand. The next time you use Quicken, enter the transactions in your checking account register.
- Choose Tools menu > Write and Print Checks.
- Select the account to write the check from.
- Select Use Online Bill Pay if you'd like to make an online payment. (For online bill pay enabled accounts only.)
- What happens if I do?If you choose to make this an online payment, the button at the bottom of the window changes from Print to Send. This is because instead of printing checks on your own printer, you will send them to your online payment processor for printing (or transfer).
- Will the memo be included?Perhaps. The contents of the Memo field may or may not be included, depending on your online payment processor. Tip: Send an online payment to yourself for $1 to find out.
- Enter the payee name.
- In the $ field, enter the amount.
- Enter the payee's address. (Optional)
- Enter a memo. (Optional)
- Is it confidential?No it isn't. Because the memo may be visible if you mail the check in a window envelope, you may prefer to enter confidential information in a message box. To display the message box, choose Edit menu > Preferences > Write Checks, and then select Allow Entry of Extra Message on Check.
- Enter a category. (Optional)
- Click Record Check.
- When you're ready to print or send your checks, click Print or Send at the bottom of the window.