How To Reconcile My Account For the First Time in Quicken
To reconcile your account for the first time in Quicken:
- Select the account you want to reconcile on the left in the Account Bar.
- Enter all of your transactions that occurred since the date of the opening balance transaction.
- From your account register:
- In Quicken 2013: Select the Actions gear icon at the very top of your register (Ctrl + Shift + N)
- In Quicken 2012 and older: click on Account Actions
- Then choose Reconcile.
- Using your account statement, check the amount in the Opening Balance field. The first time you reconcile an account, the opening balance is taken from the ending balance of your previous statement.
Note: Your Quicken program contains reconciliation-related information. To access this information, choose Contents from the Quicken Help menu, click the Index tab, and then type reconciling to display a list of related topics.
- Check the opening balance against your financial institution statement. Your financial institution may call this the beginning or previous balance.
- Correct the Opening Balance amount if necessary. Quicken helps you adjust for this difference later.
- Enter the Ending Balance amount as shown on your statement. Your statement might call this amount the new or current balance.
- If there is a service charge or interest earned, enter the information into the appropriate fields, and then click OK.