How To Reconcile My Account For the First Time in Quicken
47 people found this helpful
To reconcile your account for the first time in Quicken:
- Select the account you want to reconcile on the left in the Account Bar.
- Enter all of your transactions that occurred since the date of the opening balance transaction.
- From your account register, select the Actions gear icon at the very top of your register (Ctrl + Shift + N)
- Then choose Reconcile.
- Using your account statement, check the amount in the Opening Balance field. The first time you reconcile an account, the opening balance is taken from the ending balance of your previous statement.
Note: Your Quicken program contains reconciliation-related information. To access this information, choose Contents from the Quicken Help menu, click the Index tab, and then type reconciling to display a list of related topics.
- Check the opening balance against your financial institution statement. Your financial institution may call this the beginning or previous balance.
- Correct the Opening Balance amount if necessary. Quicken helps you adjust for this difference later.
- Enter the Ending Balance amount as shown on your statement. Your statement might call this amount the new or current balance.
- If there is a service charge or interest earned, enter the information into the appropriate fields, and then click OK.
Account Doesn't Reconcile When Reconciling For The First Time
When you began the reconciliation process, did the opening balance in Quicken's Reconcile Bank Statement window match the opening balance on your bank statement?
- Yes, my opening balance is correct
- No, my opening balance is wrongIf this is your first time reconciling your bank statement with Quicken, and the opening balance in your register doesn't match your statement, change the opening balance entry in Quicken so that it matches your statement. Then continue with your reconciliation. When you're done reconciling, Quicken adds an adjusting transaction to synchronize your records with your bank records.