Error Restoring Quicken Data File From External Media: "Can't open file" or "File not restored"
One of the following message occurs when restoring my Quicken data file from external media (thumb/usb drive, external hard drive):
- Can't open file
- File not restored
This most often occurs when the properties of your Quicken data file are set to read-only. To remove the read-only property:
- In Windows Explorer, copy your Quicken data file to your hard disk.
- Select the first file that makes up your Quicken data file, right-click and select Properties from the menu.
- In the Attributes area, select the Archive checkbox, and click to clear the Read-only checkbox.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the remaining files that make up your Quicken data file.
- Launch Quicken.
- Open the data file you changed the properties for.
Other possible causes and the solutions:
- If the data file was created on a different computer, try to create a new backup on the other computer.
- If the data file was created on the same computer, try to restore an earlier backup you made or an automatic backup made by Quicken.
- In some cases, you might need to check the Quicken file for damage before creating a backup.