How do I move my Quicken data file from one computer to another?
Quicken for Windows
Quicken for Windows 2014
Quicken for Windows 2015
Quicken for Windows 2016
Quicken Online Backup
There are a few things to understand before you move your data file:
- You do not need to buy another copy of Quicken if you're just moving your data file.
- The same version of Quicken must be installed on the computer you're moving Quicken your data file to.
- You should not open or run Quicken on a network.
Step 1: Install Quicken on your new computer
- Install Quicken on the new computer.
- Make sure Quicken is on the latest release; Quicken should update when you install, but if you need help with this step, go here.
Step 2: Put a copy of your Quicken file on an external disk
- On your old computer, open Quicken and select the File > Backup.
- Backup your data file to an external drive or disc, such as USB drive, that you can use to move this backup to your new computer.
Step 3: Restore your Quicken file on the new computer
- Connect the external drive or disc to the new computer.
- Open the external drive or disc (in most Windows version, you can go to Start > My Computer).
- Drag your Quicken file from the external drive or disc to your new computer's desktop.
- Open Quicken, and select the File > Restore Backup File. Navigate to your desktop and select your Quicken backup to restore the data file.
- Click OK.
Are you using Quicken Online Backup? Install the Online Backup client on the second computer.