How do I move my Quicken data file from one computer to another?
Quicken for Windows
Quicken for Windows 2014
Quicken for Windows 2015
Quicken for Windows 2016
Quicken for Windows 2017
Quicken Online Backup
There are a few things to understand before you move your data file:
- You do not need to buy another copy of Quicken if you're just moving your data file.
- The same version of Quicken must be installed on the computer you're moving your Quicken data file to.
- You should not open or run Quicken on a network.
Step 1: Install Quicken on your new computer
- Install Quicken on the new computer.
- Make sure Quicken is on the latest release; Quicken should update when you install, but if you need help with this step, go here.
Step 2: Put a copy of your Quicken file on an external disk
- On your old computer, open Quicken and select the File > Backup.
- Backup your data file to an external drive or disc, such as USB drive, that you can use to move this backup to your new computer.
Step 3: Restore your Quicken file on the new computer
- Connect the external drive or disc to the new computer.
- Open the external drive or disc (in most Windows version, you can go to Start > My Computer).
- Drag your Quicken file from the external drive or disc to your new computer's desktop.
- Open Quicken, and select the File > Restore Backup File. Navigate to your desktop and select your Quicken backup to restore the data file.
- Click OK.
Are you using Quicken Online Backup? Install the Online Backup client on the second computer.