How and When to Use an Intermediate Version To Convert Older Versions of Quicken
Important Notes About This Process
Converting a data file from Quicken 98 - 2003 will require converting the file in Quicken 2004. Quicken 2004 has been tested and will install and run on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 operating systems (32-bit for Quicken 6 and 32- or 64-bit for Quicken 2004) through the conversion process. It is not compatible with Windows 10. After the process is complete, we strongly recommend the converted file be used for reference only. A new data file should be created for future data entry. Stability issues could occur if new data is added to the original file.
Do not install your new version until you complete these steps:
Step 1: Convert a Quicken 98 - 2003 data file
- If you're using Quicken 98 - 2003 for Windows, make sure your data file is current, then backup your file. Close Quicken.
- Download Quicken 2004 for Windows.
- Select Save File, then browse to your desktop and save it there.
- From your desktop, double-click the newly downloaded file QW04DLX.exe.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install and convert your existing data file. This is an intermediate step, before converting to the version of Quicken you'll end up using.
Step 2: Backup data file and install Quicken
- Backup your data file in Quicken 2004 for Windows.
- Close Quicken.
- Install your current version of Quicken for Windows.
Note: If your Quicken file is empty after conversion from 2004 to the most current Quicken version, you will need to take an extra conversion step.
Download Quicken 2013 for Windows and use it to open and convert your Quicken 2004 file. Then, open the Quicken 2013 file in the latest version of Quicken to complete the conversion.
Versions older than Quicken 1998:
It is no longer possible to convert versions of Quicken older than Quicken 1998; we recommend that you open a new data file in the latest version of Quicken, for stability.
Note: If you convert from any Quicken Windows version older than Quicken 2010, you may experience some data file issues; unfortunately, if you choose to do this, we will be unable to help you with any conversion issues. We can only help with conversions from 2010 or later versions of Quicken.
Quicken for Mac Users
The steps above are applicable only to Quicken for Windows products; due to operating system restrictions, Quicken for Mac products older than 2007 are not supported for conversion. Please see this FAQ for information about converting to a new version of Quicken for Mac.