Double-clicking the Desktop Icon Fails to Start Quicken
Quicken fails to start after clicking the Quicken icon on the Windows desktop.
If you use or have recently used a dual monitor setup
When using a laptop and connecting it to two external monitors, there may be times where Quicken will not appear after disconnecting from the external monitors. This occurs because the Quicken window is still in the secondary screen that is no longer connected.
The best way to resolve this is to reconnect the external monitors and move the Quicken window to the main screen then disconnect the external monitors again.
If you click the Quicken icon and Quicken starts to open but then fails
Try to open Quicken in Silent Mode (opening the program without opening a data file to view). To do this:
- Click the Start button and find Quicken.
- While holding down the Ctrl key, click the Quicken icon. (Make sure you continue to hold down Ctrl until Quicken is done launching)
- If Quicken opens, there may be an issue with the data file that is keeping it from allowing Quicken to open properly. Restoring a backup from before when the issue started occurring will typically resolve this.
- If Quicken still doesn't open, check to see if your Firewall or anti-virus is blocking Quicken from opening. Disable them temporarily and try to open Quicken again
If you click the Quicken icon and nothing happens
- Restart your computer, then right-click the Quicken icon and select Properties
- In Properties, click Open File Location. (Default location is C:\Program Files\Quicken or C:\Program Files(x86)\Quicken).
- Double-click the Qw.exe file to start the program.
- If Quicken opens, go to the desktop and drag the Quicken shortcut icon to the Recycle Bin.
- Right-click the Qw.exe file and select Send to Desktop to create a new shortcut.
If you are trying to open Quicken from the icon in the taskbar
Sometimes Quicken is already open but minimized down into the taskbar and clicking the Quicken icon isn't restoring it back on the screen.
- Hover your mouse over the Quicken icon in the taskbar.
- Without clicking the icon, move your mouse up to the preview window that pops up.
- Right-click the preview window and select Restore.
If the steps above do not resolve the issue
Try uninstalling Quicken, then reinstalling.
Instructions on reinstalling Quicken from a digital copy can be found here.
Instructions on reinstalling Quicken from a CD copy can be found here.
If the issue persists
If you have tried the steps above and Quicken still does not open, please contact Quicken Support.