- Click on Edit on the top menu bar, then choose Preferences (Quicken Program on older versions of Quicken).
- In the left pane, click Register.
- In the right pane, select the settings you want to use.
- Show Date in first columnSwitches the positions of the Date and Num fields.
- Show Memo before CategorySwitches the positions of the Memo and Category fields.
- Automatically enter split dataSelect this option to be able to enter a transaction from the Split dialog.
- Use automatic categorization
Select this option to have Quicken suggest categories to assign to new transactions as you enter them. For more information, see How Quicken suggests categories for you.
The selected business data that Quicken uses to categorize your transactions is provided by infoUSA Inc.
- Automatically place decimal point
Enters the decimal point two places to the left when you are using Quicken's pop-up calculator in a cash flow register.
Example: You enter 3478 on the pop-up calculator; Quicken records the amount as 34.78.
- Show transaction toolbar
Adds the Enter, Edit, and Split buttons at the bottom right of the current transaction.
If you clear this option, you can enter a transaction by pressing Enter, open the Split Transaction dialog by pressing CTRL+S, and use commands that were available from the Edit button by choosing Edit menu > Transaction.
The following two options add additional buttons on the transaction toolbar. The transaction toolbar must be turned on (see above) for these two options to take effect.
- Show Rate button for payees
Clear this option to hide Attach button on the transaction toolbar of your account registers.
- Show Attach button
Use the Attach button to attach a note or follow-up flag or electronic image to a transaction.
- Gray reconciled transactions
When you select this option, reconciled and cleared transactions appear slightly faded.
- Maximize my register view
Select this option to always make the working area of your register (the part that contains the individual transactions) use as much screen space as possible. Your actual view of your register will depends on the register state-for example, whether you have any downloaded transactions waiting to be accepted.
This option affects both registers and investment transaction lists.
Click Fonts to change the size and style of the typeface used in all registers and lists.
Switch to a larger font size if you have trouble seeing smaller type. Change to a smaller font size to fit more characters on your screen.
You can see an example of the text at the bottom of the window.
Depending on how Quicken is set up, changing the font can also change the size of Quicken dialogs.
To return to Quicken's default font setting, click Reset.
- ColorsClick Colors to change register colors. For example, you might select different colors to visually distinguish between different types of registers, such as checking accounts and credit card accounts.
- Remove memorized payees not used in last [X] months
When this option is selected, Quicken removes unlocked, unused memorized payees from the Memorized Payee List after the specified number of months.
This option is useful if your list is getting so detailed that using QuickFill gives you too many closely related choices.
- Keep register filters after Quicken closesWhen this option is selected, register filter settings remain as they are when you close Quicken.
- Sorting the Account RegisterThe fastest way to sort the information in a register is to click the column heading you want the information sorted by. You can also use the following procedure to select a few additional sort options.
- Open the account register you want to sort.
- On the register toolbar, click View, and choose a sort option:
- Sort by Date / Type displays transactions sorted by the Date field. If there are two or more transactions with the same date entry, the deposits appear before the payments.
- Sort by Amount (largest first) displays transactions sorted by the Amount field, with the largest amount first.
- Sort by Amount (smallest first) displays transactions sorted by the Amount field, with the smallest amount first.
- Sort by check number displays transactions sorted by the Check Number entries.
- Sort by Payee displays transactions alphabetically by payee.
- Sort by order entered displays transactions by the date the transaction was entered (not the entries in their Date fields).
- Sort by Date / order entered displays transactions sorted by the Date fields. If there are two or more transactions with the same date entry, they are sorted by the order in which you entered them within that date.
- Sort by cleared status displays all reconciled (R) transactions first, then transactions you have attempted to reconcile (c), and then all remaining transaction
- Show Date in first column
- Click OK to save your changes.