Updating Quicken Mac Purchased from Mac App Store
If you purchased Quicken for Mac 2015 or 2016 from the App Store, you'll need to run the Quicken Utility, so you can receive the latest product updates.
Please note, Quicken Utility will not work with OS 10.9 or older. Attempting to use it on OS 10.9 or older will result in the error prompt shown below:
To install the utility for Quicken Mac:
- Download the Quicken Utility file, then double-click the file in your Downloads folder.
- The disk image will open a Quicken Utility window, instructing you to drag the Quicken Utility icon to the Applications folder.
- Drag the Quicken Utility icon to the Applications folder. You have now installed Quicken Utility.
- Double-click the Applications folder, and locate the Quicken Utility icon.
- Double-click the Quicken Utility icon.
- You will be prompted to confirm that you want to open Quicken Utility, because you downloaded it from the Internet. Click the Open button.
- Locate the copy of Quicken you wish to update in the list on the left side of the Quicken Utility window -- "Quicken 2015 (App Store)", "Quicken 2016 (App Store)" or "Quicken 2017 (App Store)" -- and click Check for Updates.
- After the Quicken Utility verifies your app store receipt, you will then see the Software Update window, telling you about the latest version of Quicken that is available.
- Click the Install Update button.
- You will be alerted that after installing this update, you will no longer use the App Store to update Quicken. Click the Install Update button.
- You will see an Updating Quicken window, showing you the status of downloading the Quicken update.
- After the update is downloaded, the Updating Quicken window will say Ready to Install. Click the Install and Relaunch button.
- You may be prompted to enter an administrator username and password for your computer. This is required to replace the application you installed from the App Store with the new version that was downloaded. Enter your credentials, then click the OK button.
- The new version of Quicken will be installed and launched. All of your settings and data from the version of Quicken that was installed from the App Store will be automatically used by the new version that was downloaded.
What if I encounter an error message?
Quicken 2015/2016/2017 was not downloaded from the App Store
The Quicken Utility only applies to App Store versions, to allow them to get release updates in the same manner as versions purchased from other retail outlets. If you bought your Quicken Mac 2015 or 2016 product from a source other than the App Store, then you don't need to use this Utility.
Quicken 2015/2016/2017 is not installed
This message appears if
- Quicken has been moved from the Applications folder (or into a sub-folder in the Applications folder)
- Quicken has been renamed to something other than Quicken 2015, Quicken 2016, or Quicken 2017
To resolve this, locate the app and return it to the Applications folder and/or rename it back to Quicken 2015, Quicken 2016, or Quicken 2017.
There is already a Quicken 2015/2016/2017 File (or Folder)
- Click the Show Documents button.
- A window will open showing the Documents folder.
- Drag any Quicken documents you want to keep to another location (like your Desktop). If you don't want to keep a document, drag it to the Trash.
- Launch the Quicken Utility again.
Could not connect to the App Store
This error will be followed by
- Check your internet connection by browsing to new sites in your web browser (do not go to any cached pages) to confirm your system is online.
- Check with your internet service provider (ISP) to ensure that you're able to connect through Quicken.
- Check with your network administrator to ensure you have permissions to connect through Quicken, if your computer is on a company or shared network.