Quicken Subscription Membership FAQs
Click here for a special letter to our community from Quicken CEO, Eric Dunn, regarding the Membership plan.
You may have questions before and after you purchase the 2018 release of Quicken. Below are some frequently asked questions.
Please note that while Quicken is now a subscription product, it has not changed to a web-hosted/cloud-based product. Quicken will remain a desktop program and your data will continue to be stored on your computer. Quicken has a cloud sync feature if you would like to use the Quicken Mobile App, but this is optional. If you would like more information on the Quicken Cloud, click here.
Before You Purchase
- Is the 2018 Release of Quicken a subscription product?The 2018 release of Quicken is a subscription product. The subscription is designed so that you never go through the upgrade process again. In addition to Online Services, such as downloading transactions from your bank or syncing to your mobile device, you’ll also automatically receive new Quicken features, versions, and services as part of your Quicken subscription, so you'll always have the newest product. Quicken offers subscriptions for one and two-year terms. Subscriptions for Quicken Premier and Quicken Home, Business, & Rental Property include free Bill Pay, Online Backup, and Premium Support access.
- How much does Quicken cost? How much will renewing my membership cost?To see our entire product lineup, including features and cost, please see our Comparison Chart. A Quicken membership can be renewed at the current retail price. We do not anticipate any significant cost increase.
- I have Quicken 2015, 2016, or 2017; do I need to buy a subscription membership?Our currently supported products, Quicken 2015, 2016, and 2017, do not require any additional subscription purchase. For more information about the currently supported Quicken versions, see this FAQ.
- Will the 2018 Release of Quicken convert my existing Quicken data?Yes. The 2018 Release works just the same as previous Quicken products; after you install the 2018 Release on your computer, you'll be prompted to convert your existing Quicken file to the new version. Note that in the past Quicken Starter didn't transfer data from other Quicken Windows versions. With the 2018 Release, Quicken Starter on both Windows and Mac will convert Quicken files.
- I don’t use online banking, do I still need to buy a subscription membership? The 2018 Release of Quicken is designed so that you never go through the upgrade process again. In addition to online banking, you’ll automatically receive new Quicken features, versions, and services as part of your Quicken subscription, so you'll always have the newest product. To provide you with these new features, a subscription is required. All future Quicken products will be subscription products.
- Is there a trial version of the 2018 Release of Quicken? I’d like to try it out.There is no trial version of Quicken, but we do have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- What are the system requirements for the 2018 Release of Quicken?You can see the system requirements for the Windows and Mac products here.
- Which memberships include free features like Bill Pay and Online Backup?To see our entire product lineup, including features and cost, please see our Comparison Chart.
- Is Quicken a web-based product? Do I need an internet connection to use it? The 2018 Release of Quicken is just like previous Quicken versions. You'll install the product on your computer system, and use the internet to access and download your online banking transactions. You'll also need access to the internet to activate your Quicken product and to receive the latest product updates; Quicken is not hosted on the cloud. After you activate your product, you can enter transactions manually, offline.
Billing and Account Management
- How many people can use Quicken?Anyone you provide with your Quicken ID and password may use Quicken; however, note that they will also have access to your subscription and billing information and any synced mobile data, along with any data files on the computer(s) they have access to.
Your subscription is tied to the Quicken ID you used when you purchased or activated Quicken, not your computer. As a member, you can create as many data files as you need, and sync multiple data files to your mobile device with your Quicken ID.
- When does my Quicken membership end?Your subscription ends one or two years from your purchase date, depending on your purchase. You can view your purchase and expiration dates in your Quicken.com account.
- How do I manage my Quicken membership?You can manage your Quicken membership in the My Account section of Quicken.com. When you log in with your Quicken ID, you can see your product version, your date of activation, and your subscription expiration date. You can also manage your account settings, such as your login and password.
- How do I update my payment information?You can update your payment information in the My Account section of Quicken.com. When you log in, select Change Payment Info.
- What if I don’t want to be automatically charged? How do I cancel the auto-renewal?Quicken will automatically renew when your subscription ends, so you'll always have access to online services. We'll notify you when your renewal date approaches, but if you prefer to cancel auto-renewal, you can find steps for that here.
- When does my Quicken membership activate--date of purchase or registration?If you purchase directly from Quicken, your subscription is activated on your date of purchase. If you purchase from a retail store, your subscription is activated when you install Quicken and enter the activation code that came with your purchase. You can confirm your activation date by logging into your account on Quicken.com.
- Why can't I renew my Quicken Membership?You can only renew within 30 days of your membership expiration. When you’re within 30 days of your subscription expiration, just purchase your membership renewal at Quicken.com.
- How will I know if I need to renew my subscription membership?If you already have a subscription membership, you'll receive an email reminder 30 days prior to your renewal date. If your membership expires, you'll see these messages in your Quicken product:
Just click the Renew option to purchase a membership.
- How do I renew my Quicken membership?If you already have a subscription membership, you'll receive an email reminder 30 days prior to your renewal date. If you're signed up for auto-renew, you don't need to take any action; your credit card on file will be charged on your expiration date. If you're not signed up for auto-renew, seven days prior to your membership renewal date, you'll be able to purchase your membership renewal at Quicken.com.
- What happens when my Quicken membership ends?The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends. Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within the Quicken product. The Data Access Guarantee applies to Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken; the Starter version will become read-only upon membership expiration or cancellation.
- How do I cancel my Quicken membership?You can cancel your membership at any time by contacting Quicken Support.